Thursday, March 1, 2018
Ombre Mid-century modern style dresser.
This baby was a road-side rescue.
My favorite kind of purchase.
With reason, joints needed glued and it's veneered.
The veneer was chipped, cracked and lifted in some sections.
I was able to glue and patch with wood fill.
How Not to DIY tip:
After a thorough cleaning with TSP,
I tried staining the drawers with a Gel stain, but it did not take.
I was left with tacky drawers.
I've used Gel stain on our Fiberglass front door and it normally works beautifully.
I've never tried it with wood or veneer.
I used some mineral spirits to clean it off and decided to paint it all.
I was hoping for a wood or two-tone mid-century dresser,
but I like the way this turned out.
I made a batch of white chalk paint and blue chalk paint(bottom drawer color).
Using a small measuring cup, I made the other colors.
1 part blue and 3 parts white for the second drawer
2 parts blue and 2 parts white for the middle drawer
3 parts blue and 1 part white for the fourth drawer
Once I finished applying two or three coats, I lightly sanded with 200 grit, then coated with wax.
After cleaning wood with TSP, it get's dried out.
I like to oil the wood surfaces to "give back some moisture" and make it look good.
Lately, I've been using Howard's Feed- N-Wax.
It works wonders even on nicked wood furniture you don't want to refinish.
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Alphabet blocks can be a unique and customizable gift for a child or Mom-to-be.
I made two sets as gifts, but these could also be a great baby shower activity.
I bought some 2 x 2s from the hardware store.
I started with a jig saw because it's not as scary as the circular,
then switched to the circular because it was taking way too long.
How not to DIY Alphabet blocks:
Sand the ends after each cut!
I realized this halfway through.
I could sand one end while it was still clamped to something stable,
then only have to sand one side by hand.
For this, I wore leather gloves and used a palm sander while holding each block.
This may cut down on just buzzing off blocks efficiently, but you'll appreciate it down the road.
I measured the blocks to be cut as long as they were wide.
I forgot I'd lose quite a bit of that to saw dust!
So they're not perfect.
Gives it character.
That's what I'm going with.
After all the blocks were sanded and the corners were rounded,
I got to Mod-Podging.
There's a great template for cute blocks at http://questionabledomestique.blogspot.com/2011/08/alphabet-blocks.html
I cropped those down to size and printed them out.
Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge, lay the paper down, let it dry 20 minutes, then put another coat of Mod Podge on top. Apply 2 or 3 coats to ensure a good finish.
This took some time but was a good indoor-while-I-watch-TV winter activity.
My sister decorated her little girls room in the following colors.
To personalize, I added little images that were relevant to the parents.
I also did one side with all the family's faces.
We have a lot of K names, so it didn't quite work out that K stood for Kristen.
Below are the blocks for my friends new little boy.
I left one side wood on these because it looks neat and lets the parents customize.
I don't know how to add my template on here for the letter blocks.
I just used a Word document, inserted squares, filled with a color, and added a text box.
Please send me an e-mail if you're interested and I can send you my template where you can print or change colors.
These were a lot of fun to do and kid safe with Mod Podge.
Little Quincy is already playing with his.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
This winter my husband and I made a hall tree coat rack with vintage skis.
How not to DIY this project:
Don't try doing it alone!
This required at least two people to hold the skis, wood, hooks, screws,
and drill all at the same time.
It's funny, my hubby doesn't often work on these projects with me,
but when he does, he's so proud of them and wants to keep them.
The bucket above helped keep the wood in one level spot as we drilled holes.
I Love how it turned out, but we were very lucky.
As we held everything together, the skis would shift, twist, and lean.
I'm surprised we got all four legs touching the floor and not wobbling.
I made the cross bracket with two pieces of solid wood with a notch cut halfway up each.
They were a tight fit and the ends needed cut and sanded to fit the angle of the skis.
I also spray painted the heads of the screws to blend in.
These were vintage skis, I don't think they were antique.
One set had the metal bindings on, the other had blue plastic bindings.
I took those off for aesthetics.
The top is held together with another piece of wood stained to match.